Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit is an action adventure, drama, and mystery all in one. This film is placed in New York City and Moscow. This movie starts out with Jack, played by Chris Pine, witnessing the 9/11 terrorist attack while at college in London School of Economics. Devastated, he enlists in the army and the next time viewers see Jack, he’s in Afghanistan. After an attack he his rushed back to the U.S. and recruited to work for the CIA as an analyst in the Financial Intelligence Unit. When he discovers a Russian plot to throw the economy, he must switch from an analyst to a government spy. Other main stars include Keira Knightly as Cathy Muller, Kevin Costner as William Harper, Petter Andersson as Dimitri Lemkov, and Kenneth Branagh as Viktor Cherevin.

This film was easy to follow, seeing the emotions Jack went through as the story progresses. From seeing him love Cathy, long time girlfriend and physical therapist. To seeing him panic, and let his instincts in the driver’s seat in life threatening situations. Such as when Jack arrives in Russia and is given his own personal bodyguard, named Embee Deng, played by Nonso Anozie. When Jack and Embee arrive at the hotel and into the room, Embee tries to kill Jack. This scene is a good example not only of good flow in the film, but also of the character development.

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit has a good way of keeping you interested from trying to solve the mystery of what’s going to happen, who’s in control, to sitting by and watching the action play out in fight scenes, to hoping Jack and Cathy’s relationship will stay together with everything. Throughout the movie I was glued to my seat not wanting to miss a single clue that could help solve the mystery of how the movie was going to play out.

According to Rotten Tomatoes, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit earned itself $30.5 million in the box office, and 5.7 out of 10 stars with the critics. With the audience this film scored 3.5 out of 5 stars.

“But then something interesting (and pretty rare) happens: the movie finds its feet, and unrolls as a pretty suspenseful, largely engaging, and hardly ever too-over-the-top spy thriller.” said Glenn Kenny from Rogerebert.com.

“Too much of the action in Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit takes place on laptops, thumb drives, and video monitors.” said Steaven Rea from The Philadelphia Inquirer.

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit is an action adventure drama and mystery all in one. Overall this film kept my attention, and had its intense moments. In my book Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit earned itself 6 out of 10 stars.

“Maybe we should have recruited the audience,” said Chris Pine, “because all I see out there are shadows.” See more at MovieJuice!

See you at the movies!

-Marion

One thought on “Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

1. Good review and on point. Fun movie to watch but one that you will probably forget as soon as you leave the film. The best part, I felt, was the attempted manipulation/destruction of the dollar and US economy…not the idea so much as the way it would be done. That was almost accomplished by accident by the banks and wall street in 2008—-but I digress. Marion, hope you check out the movie Her and Nebraska. UM